- Dr. E.Y.A. Charles received the President’s Award for Scientific Research 2008 for his publication: Pham, D.T. , Packianather, M.S., and Charles, E.Y.A. “Control chart pattern clustering using a new self-organizing spiking neural network”, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Volume 222, Number 10, pp. 1201-1211, 2008.
- Dr. M. Siyamalan received the President’s Award for Scientific Research 2018 for his publication: Manivannan, S., Zhang, W. Li, J., Trucco, E. and McKenna, S. “Structure Prediction for Gland Segmentation with Hand-Crafted and Deep Convolutional Features”, In IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, volume 37, 2018.
- Dr. M. Siyamalan received the President’s Award for Scientific Research 2017 for his publication: Manivannan, S., Cobb, C., Burgess, S. and Trucco, E. “Sub-Category Classifiers for Multiple-Instance Learning and its Application to Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Visibility Classification”, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 36(5):1140–1150, 2017.
Best Paper Awards
- Anparasy, S., Priyadarshani, A.H.R., Kokul, T., and Ramanan, A. “Underwater Image Enhancement Using Dual Convolutional Neural Network with Skip Connections”, in International Conference on Advanced Research in Computing (ICARC’22), 24 February 2022.
- Nirthika, R., Manivannan, S., and Ramanan, A. “Loss functions for optimizing Kappa as the evaluation measure for classifying diabetic retinopathy and prostate cancer images”, in IEEE International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), IIT Ropar, India, 26-28 November 2020.
- Manivannan, S. and Kausik, M. “Convolutional Neural Network and Feature Encoding for Predicting the Outcome of Cricket Matches”, In IEEE International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems (ICIIS), Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 18-20 December 2019.
- Ramanan, M., Ramanan, A. and Charles, E.Y.A. “A Hybrid Decision Tree for Printed Tamil Character Recognition using SVMs”, In IEEE International Conference on Advances in ICT for Emerging Regions (ICTer), BMICH, Sri Lanka, 24-25 August 2015.
- Thabotharan, K. and Nalin, R. “Self Similarity and Predictability of Contact Opportunities in Opportunistic Networks”, 18th IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON), 12-14 December, Singapore, 2012.
Best Presentation Awards
- Mr. K. Sarveswaran for presenting the paper entitled “Hierarchical Tag-set for Rule-based Processing of Tamil Language”, in the Modern Technology and Application track at the International Conference on Multidisciplinary Approaches (iCMA), 2014.
- Dr. A. Ramanan for presenting the poster entitled “Unbalanced Decision Trees for Multi-class Classification” in the “2007 Symposium on Data Modelling for new researchers held at the University of Sheffield, UK., March 2007.
- Dr. A. Ramanan received the Outstanding Branch Counsellor Award for being the “Branch Counsellor of the IEEE Student Branch of the University of Jaffna” awarded at the IEEE Sri Lanka Section Awards – 2021 ceremony held on 27 January 2022.
- The final year research project, “A self-training convolutional neural network for the classification of surface defects in computer integrated manufacturing”, conducted by Ms. Mayuravaani Mathuranathanan, a Level-4S student of the Department of Computer Science under the supervision of Dr. M. Siyamalan has been awarded as a “Best innovative project – University category” at the Provincial Level of the “Sri Lanka Association of Software and Services Companies (SLASSCOM) National Ingenuity Awards 2021”.